Sunday, December 18, 2011

Merenda time!!

Merenda is the Italian word for "afternoon snack". Today, under my husband's request, I made Churros for the first time! I found the recipe on the online magazine Bon Appetit, one of my favorite magazines. They are basically fried eggy dough covered with sugar. They didn't come out too bad, the frying oil was probably a little too hot so they came out crunchy on the outside but not completely cooked inside. They were edible though... they are almost all gone! :) I also served, to my husband and children, a delicious hot chocolate. It was great!!
I was curious to know more about this crunchy Spanish snack..I knew it came from Spain and it's very popular all over South America and Mexico, but I found out it was a recipe made by Spanish shepherds, to substitute fresh bakery goods. Churro paste was easy to make and fry in an open fire in the mountains, where shepherds spend most of their time. I think it's interesting...
Here's a picture taken earlier to show you how they came out! Bon Appétit!!



2 comments:

  1. Sluuurp Luisa!!! What a great job!!! I'd like to do these too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! The hometown I grew up on used to have so many churro carts around town to buy these from, but yet, I've never had any! I definitely need to now!

    Congrats again on winning the giveaway at Agape Love! I love how well you crochet, I must admit, I'm jealous! ;)

    Mary
    http://piccolajellyfish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

♥ ~Thank you for stopping by~ ♥ I love your comments!