Yes, I know the actual date was yesterday... I spent it with my family and some friends (mostly people I didn't know), but I didn't have to cook!! I'm always so excited for the holidays because I have an excuse to cook all the amazing dishes that normally I wouldn't prepare. So....we decided to celebrate today, just us. I enjoyed myself cooking all morning and sharing a delicious meal with my loves, really feeling thankful for ALL that God has done for me, especially the gift of my husband and children.
I want to share with you my Apple Pie. It is my favorite pie to make and to eat. I've recently discovered a website that inspires me a lot. All the pictures are amazing and the recipes too!! I made the pie crust following THE BUTTER HALF 's recipe.. easy and delicious!
This is what I did:
3 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut in cubes
1/2 cup ice water
1 beaten egg (for brushing)
3 large apples
1 lemon (zest and juice)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup brown sugar
- Mix butter, sugar and flour in a food processor (or in a mixer using the leaf attachment) trying to be quick, not to let the butter melt. When it's all crumbled, add the iced cold water. Mix rapidly until it sticks together. Form two balls and let them rest in the fridge.
- In the meantime peel the apples, take out the core and slice them very finely. Put them in a bowl mixing the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Roll the dough for the bottom part of the pie and cover a 9 inch pie pan (grease the pan before laying the dough). Poke the bottom with a fork, add the apple filling.
- With the second ball of dough you can use your imagination. You could just roll it thinly to perfectly cover the top and give it a rustic, old-fashioned look, or you can be creative a make your own design.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Cook for 35 minutes in preheated oven at 345 degrees or until golden and beautiful.
As you can see from my pictures below, I cut 4 wide strips of dough and a few decorative flowers with a cookie cutter. You can find "pie crust cutters" HERE .
Let me know if you try this recipe! I would love to see how you decide to decorate your crust.
Ciao for now.