Friday, February 22, 2013

Les Madeleines

What a wonderful day!!!! I accomplished something that I wanted to do in a loooong time... which is to bake Madeleines!! The adorable, super delicious french little cakes! I buy them once in a while at the store, but they are so expensive! I have never had the possibility to make them because I needed the special madeleine-pan and it's found in france or in special/fancy stores. Well, I have been recently soooo blessed in winning a giveaway hosted by the bestest girl Kristine from TheFoleyFam. What I received as a prize was a 25$ gift-card to Williams-Sonoma! The FIRST thing I thought I really needed was the pan to cook madeleines, so I found it and bought it on their web-site! :)
I'm so happy! They came out really really good, so fresh and much better than the ones from the store. I'm making the second batch right now, my children wanted more! {not only them..}..
...here they are! I wish I could give you some..



I have to finish this post speaking about Marcel Proust, a very famous French poet who wrote about these cute little cakes in one of his works.. he was speaking about memories, the type of memory that takes you back to the past through the senses, like the smell of something or in his case the taste of the Madeleines.

"No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory – this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. ... Whence did it come? What did it mean? How could I seize and apprehend it? ... And suddenly the memory revealed itself. The taste was that of the little piece of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray (because on those mornings I did not go out before mass), when I went to say good morning to her in her bedroom, my aunt Léonie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of tea or tisane. The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it. And all from my cup of tea."
—Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time


Have a sweet rest of the day!!

xoxo,



2 comments:

  1. Those look tasty! I've never heard of them. I definitely have to research them and see if a local bakery makes them. Thanks for sharing. I can't really think of something I used to eat as a kid. I know I ate lots of stuff but not thing that reminds me of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please send some over!! SO happy you could put your winnings to good use :) SO sweet of you to link back to me. Much appreciated!! Love ya friend!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

♥ ~Thank you for stopping by~ ♥ I love your comments!